Welcome to my Blog.

Translate my Posts easily.

Welcome to my blog.

I'll be posting thoughts, photos, happenings, and other art
related information from time to time.


If English is not your most comfortable language please use
the Google translator on the right for fast translation of my Posts.

Thank you.

martedì 31 luglio 2012

READY! GO!

 The image has been etched onto the wax-covered plate. We can start to etch the plate now but first the edges and back of the plate must be protected from the acid. I use contact paper cut to the size of the back and packing tape for the side edges making sure to place it as close to the edges as possible.

My plate is zink and my etching bath is nitric acid and water at 10%( that is 1 part acid to 10 parts water). Carefully slide the plate into the acid bath and note the time with your watch. (again use gloves, acid can be dangerous)

With the heat of the summer the acid works quickly so for delicate lines just a few minutes are enough. Bubbles will form where the drawing has been made and should be delicately brushed away using a feather ( even pigeon feathers work fine). Take the plate out of the acid, rinse well and dry. Then add more lines to the image if and where needed and return to acid bath.  This process can be repeated  until the image seems satifactory. When ready, eliminate the tape and contact paper, remove the wax from the plate using turpentine, wash with soap and alcohol, and proceed to make a test print.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Subscribe to this blog: