Welcome to my Blog.

Translate my Posts easily.

Welcome to my blog.

I'll be posting thoughts, photos, happenings, and other art
related information from time to time.


If English is not your most comfortable language please use
the Google translator on the right for fast translation of my Posts.

Thank you.

giovedì 9 agosto 2012

THE FIRST PRINT

plate ready on my press
For me this is the most exciting moment in the etching process. . .seeing, finally, the image in print!  After all the preliminary preparations, the covering, the cleaning and the acid baths, there is an unexplainable magic in seeing what was only a sketchy drawing become a clear, clean print on paper.

Printing is a phase in itself and can be approached in various ways.  The plate can be taken to a professional printing studio where (1) the plate will be inked and printed for you or (2) where you can rent the use of a press to print by yourself. A third choice is to use your own press, an investment, yes, but well worth the expense in the long run. You will save on time and money because very rarely is only one proof enough. 

Corrections or additions are always needed. Darks have to be darkened and lines have to be cancelled to create light contrast. Before arriving at a final  satisfactory image each change made to the plate will have to be seen in print.


inking the plate


 
the inked plate

  
I know that this seems to be a long and tedious process and is not appealing to everyone. For me?  I love the challange.

the first proof


my printing press
The final product!
What do you think?  Give it a try?
(. . . and Merry Christmas in July!!)




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Subscribe to this blog: