Welcome to my Blog.

Translate my Posts easily.

Welcome to my blog.

I'll be posting thoughts, photos, happenings, and other art
related information from time to time.


If English is not your most comfortable language please use
the Google translator on the right for fast translation of my Posts.

Thank you.

giovedì 30 agosto 2012

An Installation

I have written 5 previous posts about my Etruscan project at Hotel Fontermosa: graphic solutions, room numbers, greeting card, and portraits. This is the last of the series. . .an installation created for the hotel’s dining room. First a short definition. Installation art describes an artistic genre of  works that are often  site-specific, three-dimensional works designed to transform the perception of a space. It is an art form generally applied to interior spaces.
Using wax and wire mesh, I created two Etruscan  figures, the double flute player and the dancer, ever present entertainers at a festive gathering in Etruria. My intention and purpose was to complete my Etruscan theme in an area used for the consumption of food and beverages, a dining hall, where the magic flute and ballerina evoke sensations of conviviality, music, dance,
In the Etruscan tradition the sharing of food played a role of primary importance. The practice of offering a banquet for various festivities or celebrations signified that there was a special communion between the participants and the divine. Precious  foods were offered: milk, wine, honey, meats and particular breads made with herbs and cereals.
hotel Fontermosa sculturehotel Fontermosa dancer
My figures were modeled after a dancer depicted in the Tomb of the Triclinio (above left) and a dancer depicted in the Tomb of the Lion (above right) and, of course, the flute player from the Tomb of the Leopard (below) (all can be seen in the archeological site at Tarquinia.)
hotel Fontermosa fresco used for card  Many sketches, many preliminary plans were drawn and a near-life size drawing was made to help me with proportions. Then the inner structure of metal tubing and wire was made. It had to be solid and secure because I intended to suspend my figures from the ceiling so that they would be free. . .weightless. Now in the dining room, objects of curiosity, they are often touched making them swing (especially by children) and, in a way, they are brought to life.
 hotel Fontermosa sculture schizzo flute player sketch







It was winter, I remember, and the wax was hard because of the cold.  I had to use a hairdryer to make the wax soft enough to press into the wire mesh. The process was slow because of this.
flute player and danzatrice dettagli 001 flute player and danzatrice dettagli 004
The materials I used  varied.  I am a hopeless hoarder so I have a studio full of THINGS  that I hate to through out,  “you never know when they will be useful!” The wire mesh, once cut, twisted and pulled, rolled and folded, was covered in places by yellow colored tarlatan ( a kind of gauzy cloth that you use to clean inked plates while etching), it  was painted, was lined with transparent acetate sheets or just plain plastic.  Bits of metal were used to decorate both figures. Silver leaf was used on the musician’s face.
DSCF0139Once ready to be placed in the dining area, a Plexiglas panel, (1 mt. x 3 mt.) was  fixed to the wall behind the area where they would hang in order to create a virtual space.
DSCF0230
OPERE - SYLVIA B.TERI 003
Details
flute player and danzatrice dettagli 006 flute player and danzatrice dettagli 005
www.fontermosa.it

1 commento:

  1. I saw them...pictures do not give the right idea of the expressions of the figures, of their being caught in activity, like those Pompei's people 'frozen' in the full of life.

    RispondiElimina

Subscribe to this blog: