Welcome to my Blog.

Translate my Posts easily.

Welcome to my blog.

I'll be posting thoughts, photos, happenings, and other art
related information from time to time.


If English is not your most comfortable language please use
the Google translator on the right for fast translation of my Posts.

Thank you.

sabato 19 gennaio 2013

Preparation of the Canvas

Conversation - oil on canvas - 50x70cm

Measuring Space - oil on canvas -50x70cm

For  these (and most all of my paintings) the canvas was prepared using gesso (plaster of Paris) mixed with  rabbit skin glue, the formula for  preparation used by artists during the Renaissance. I was careful to create areas of thick material to inscribe the geometric forms and the   lines of my figures.


Rabbit skin glue comes in a dry granular form that is dissolved  in hot water. When completely melted the gesso is added slowly, stirring constantly, until the mixture resembles  creamy yoghurt. Using a spatula or brush it is then applied to the canvas. This preparation seals the canvas (usually linen) and helps it to "stretch". When dry, it forms a protective coating for the canvas where your painting medium, whether it be oil, acrylic, wax, etc,etc, can be applied easily.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Subscribe to this blog: