Welcome to my Blog.

Translate my Posts easily.

Welcome to my blog.

I'll be posting thoughts, photos, happenings, and other art
related information from time to time.


If English is not your most comfortable language please use
the Google translator on the right for fast translation of my Posts.

Thank you.

giovedì 15 agosto 2013

Playing Hookey!

It's been pretty obvious I immagine.  I admit, with a little guilt, that for the past couple of months I have shamelessly  played hookey, yup, I have been unjustifiably absent from the studio. Summer has made me into a lazy, undiciplined being that would rather flip flop from chair to sofa, melting into the heat that has suddenly struck with torrid temps and sipping lemonade in a futile attempt to quench the fire.

But, thank goodness, the absence was only physical.  Those of us who paint know that we're never completely far away from our studios. There is always a mental presence that is constantly working. Everything we see, feel, encounter  daily is  stored in our minds for use in a more profitable future. Even my virtual tour with you to the Biennial Art Expo in Venice has been a precious stimulation as well as a preparation for my visit to Venice in the fall.


8"x 8"- gesso and rusted nails on paper

8" x 8"- gesso and rusted nails on paper

Months ago, I started a series of small works with cold wax on paper using  rusty nails. (see post "New . . .and Already Rusty") Four were finished but I had also prepared two others which have been there waiting. ( see above photos ) Using the same  paper (8" x8") primed with gesso in thick layers, I embedded my rust coated nails into the pasty surface. I created texture in  the gesso by raising and adding more material around the nails with a spatula intending to anchor the nails and to add interest around them. . . When the surface dried however, less rust was released from the metal probably because the gesso neutralized the effect of the acidic vinegar so I used coffee to obtain areas of light and dark.

These two pieces have been on my mind all these months and are now in the working!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Subscribe to this blog: