Welcome to my Blog.

Translate my Posts easily.

Welcome to my blog.

I'll be posting thoughts, photos, happenings, and other art
related information from time to time.


If English is not your most comfortable language please use
the Google translator on the right for fast translation of my Posts.

Thank you.

lunedì 20 maggio 2013

Rusty Nails


Rusty, hand forged,  antique nails
What have rusty nails got to do with painting?

I have a collection of these beautiful hand forged antique nails that I have always wanted to use in someway in my paintings and finally I have found it. They were the starting point for a new composition on paper.  Something that I have wanted to try for a long time: placing the nails on the paper, wetting them with a spray of vinegar and water and letting them stand until dry, creating  a beautiful variety of russet stains from yellow ochre to a  rich burnt umber.

My first support when I started working with cold wax was canvas, a rough surface sometimes accentuated by the addition of sand or inert materials.  This new piece is  totally different. I still used  wax but this time on paper, normal, light weight drawing paper. First, I stained the paper  using the rusty nails. This first time the nails were placed in a hap-hazard way, no idea in mind. I didn't even think I was going to continue working with it but as I looked at the marks I decided to continue. (for that reason I don't have a picture of the beginning.)

The next steps were interventions with wax, black India ink, and oil, resulting in "The Queen and the Joker" below.



"The Queen and the Joker"   17 x 14"  wax, oil, ink on paper


This is a detail of the painting. You can clearly see the the rust spots, the ink, and the wax.

detail of "The Queen and the Joker"

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Subscribe to this blog: