Welcome to my Blog.

Translate my Posts easily.

Welcome to my blog.

I'll be posting thoughts, photos, happenings, and other art
related information from time to time.


If English is not your most comfortable language please use
the Google translator on the right for fast translation of my Posts.

Thank you.

martedì 24 settembre 2013

Art and Botany - Time Out from Printing

Thumbnail for version as of 12:40, 13 September 2008
what the  flower should look like ...if. . .!!
Time out to  talk about what's happening in the studio behind the scenes.


 For weeks, . . . months now. . . something very exciting  is happening at the studio.  It has nothing to do with painting, printing or the like . . . even though it is a work of art that I'm talking about . . . it's art by  good old Mother Nature.

About 5 years ago, maybe 6, I bought a  little plant at the supermarket. The plastic pot, only 3 inches in diameter, housed a tiny "Strelizia" or  "Bird of Paradise", very exotic and one of my favorites.  There wasn't any real hope on my part that I would ever see it grow let alone flower but I bought it anyway. Everybody knows what that's like.

I'm afraid I wasn't very careful about the way I treated it at the beginning.  I slapped into an "any-old" kind of  vase not even considering that it would need good soil. It stayed in my garden for a couple of years where the temperatures during the winter are much more rigid than in Florence. When finally it started to show signs of growth, I decided to move it into the "tropical" temps of the city (the studio) where I put it in a larger pot and this time gave it fertle soil.

Low and behold,  after all these years, ( they say it takes at least 5), I think it's ready to BLOOM! Can hardly believe it!

I've been monitoring it for the past weeks, ever since it shot up a tall spike that could be a leaf  but is taking too long to open up. My hopes soar at the thought that it really is a flower. Every morning,  after I arrive at the studio,  my first stop is the courtyard to check the plant and/or flower.

Only then, after careful scrutiny and great discussion, (with husband, son and husband's secretary,  participants in this waiting) I go into the studio to work.

It's difficult to know how long the birth of this flower will take but. .  we should be close . . . (anyway, what do they say? Patience? it's a Virtue) After 5 years I can wait  a few more days?!?!?!

my plant. . . note "spike" at center






Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Subscribe to this blog: