Welcome to my Blog.

Translate my Posts easily.

Welcome to my blog.

I'll be posting thoughts, photos, happenings, and other art
related information from time to time.


If English is not your most comfortable language please use
the Google translator on the right for fast translation of my Posts.

Thank you.

giovedì 5 settembre 2013

Learning from Mistakes! Print # one

sponge, plastic wrap, Fabriani paper
This morning I prepared my paper by sponging each sheet thoroughly on both sides and placing  the sheets in a plastic envelope that  completely enclosed them on all four sides. Any plastic  bag would do well as long as the paper is completely covered. Left to rest while  everything else is prepared, the paper will absorb the water evenly and I'll be able to print.


(clockwise)  two hand brayers, wooden roller, ink fish bone
 Then I got out all the  printing utensils I have that are alternatives to the etching press. Remember, I have an idea to print by hand at some point.


etching stone and various spatulas
These are a variety of spatulas  used to mix and soften the inks as well as to apply colors to the printing plate


colors are laid out on the stone as a palette and will be mixed for use on the plastic plate




I set out the primary colors, plus white, black and a transparent ink that serves as a thinner in the sense that it cuts the tint of the ink without thinning its consistency. Then I proceeded to mix my colors employing oil and turpentine to thin the inks into "washes" where needed.


The plate after inking



After my image was ready, I carefully cleaned the beveled edges of the plexiglas plate with a soft rag. I didn't want any ink to  ruin the edges of the printed image. (famous last words!!!) This is a step that is necessary in any printing process.

print # one
OK. This is the first print. A failure . . . I didn't follow my own  rules!! (even though I realized what I was doing!!!)  Maybe I was in too much of a hurry?

Note:  the printed image is the reverse of the image on the plate which is usual in a print but, to the right, see how the ink of the print has run out onto the paper beyond the edge of the plate. There was too much ink on the plate at that point and, under the pressure of the press, the ink was squeezed out from under the plate onto the margins of the paper dirtying the image. And, looking more closely, the color at  that point is flat. The texture that was there and  the application of another color that was there were cancelled by  the thick blob of blue that got squished under the pressure of the press.

AND, although it doesn't appear in my photo, there's another blemish. . .the white margine of  the   paper has a huge crease to one side indicating that the pressure of the press was too strong. As the cilinder passed over the plate, the paper buckled and creased under it's weight.

The only way these errors can be corrected is by hiding them under a passepartout . . .  It's much much better, however. to start over again, vowing  never again to make the same stupid mistakes.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Subscribe to this blog: